Here are some thoughts made in this podcast from Jonathan Foust about becoming happier:
– Choose what you already have.
– What’s between you and being happy? Connecting to your true nature.
– Cultivating beginner’s mind. Infinite possibilities. Experience each moment fresh.
– Being caught in the state of wanting more. The hungry ghost where you’re never happy. We’re all afflicted with this to some degree.
– Desire and happiness are diametrically opposed. If we let go of desire, you become happy.
– When you begin to cultivate non-judging awareness, you become more aware of what’s between you and being happy.
– Using these five elements from Martin Seligman’s book about psychology (perma) to determine where you might level up to break a cycle and become happier:
- Positive emotional – feeling good
- Engagement – how much do you feel absorbed in activities
- Relationships – authentically connected with people around you
- Meaning – purposeful existence
- Achievement – sense of accomplishment